Office Reception Sofa FAQs
How long does an office sofa last?
It’s difficult to calculate an average lifespan for office seating as it really does depend on build quality and usage, both of which can vary considerably. Like all workplace furniture, it depends on the exact space it’s placed in and the treatment it gets, both of which can make a huge difference to longevity.
- As a ballpark, quality commercial seating should stay looking great and feeling comfortable for at least 5 years in busy, high-traffic areas - and possibly much longer than that in a quieter or less frequently used space.
- To keep your fabric seating looking great we recommend you hoover the cushions and armrests on a regular basis. This removes any dirt and dust which can breakdown the fabric over time.
- If you have a faux leather units wipe down with a damp cloth with a mild detergent to remove dirt and light marks.
Is a sofa better than chairs for waiting rooms?
Whether you go for waiting room sofas or chairs in a waiting area really depends on the space available and how busy it is.
- An office reception sofa can look better in a space with lighter traffic but isn’t always the best option for seating a lot of single visitors.
- Where there is a steady flow of people coming and going you may prefer to offer individual chairs.
- Consider armless seats to maximise the usage and add thin or wide armrests to separate users.
How much does office reception seating cost?
Our stylish, commercial-grade office sofas are surprisingly affordable - a three-seater specifically designed for an office starts around £1,200. A commercial office sofa use much higher grades of fabric and foam than domestic furniture and are designed and built to withstand all-day use.
Why choose a commercial grade sofa?
Domestic seating is a cheap option but will start to look tired after a short period. Remember to buy once and the best you can afford to save wastage and reduce the amount of office furniture going to landfill.
How much space do I need for a corner office seating?
Small, four-seater corner reception sofas starts at 227 x 227 cm and gives you the equivalent of 2 two-seater and a corner seat. We recommend that you leave at least a 20cm gap at each end which means that you need to allow a total space of around 260 x 260 cm.
- Consider modular seating for extra flexibility now and if you’re planning to move in the future. Corner units do not suit all receptions because the corner seat rarely gets utilised unless serval people are seated.
- Consider replacing the corner seat with a low coffee table to reduce the cost and make the unit more usable.
What is the hardest wearing fabric for waiting room seating?
Stylish faux leather is the hardest wearing reception sofa material - it is stain resistant and wipes clean. Remember that a synthetic commercial grade fabric can have a rub test rating of 250,000.
Domestic seating fabrics
Domestic seating fabrics have a rub rating of only around 25,000 which makes them unsuitable for workspaces.
Does reception seating need to be comfortable?
Surprisingly, comfort doesn’t need to be the number one consideration for modern office furniture. Most modern seating is used for very short periods so the priority is that they are great looking, hard-wearing and long-lasting.
- Of course, they are comfortable, but they are generally designed not to be too soft and over-cushioned, both for ease of getting on and off them and to help visitors to feel more comfortable in workplace environments.
Can I order without armrests?
Armrests are a popular feature and with good reason, they’re comfortable and practical. But in modern commercial premises space is often an issue, as well as access.
- Not having armrests can allow you to almost double up on seating where space is really tight or make better use of space with L-shaped or modular seating options.
- If access is an occasional problem, some specific types of seating can be specially made with removable arms to solve this issue.
What fabric colours are available?
Office sofas are large pieces of office furniture that need to work with your existing decoration. Whether you want to go for a subtle match or a bright contrast, we’re happy to tell you that almost every colour you can imagine is possible, from red, blue, green, grey, black, white, purple and orange.
Free colour swatches
A swatch service is available to help you decide and we can even help with colour matching - perhaps you’d like to match your logo design?
Can I match my brand colours?
Yes! There is a library of 1000s of fabric colours available in reds, greens, blues, oranges and greys which means colour matching should be possible for almost every brand. Ask our furniture experts for help with colour matching and colour swatches - call 020 8840 6298.
How long does it take to order?
- Our high quality, commercial-grade furniture is generally built to order to your own custom specifications.
- We would, therefore, recommend that you allow between 4 to 6 weeks depending on the type of seating you have chosen and the fabric finishes.
- However, if you need something in a hurry we may well be able to help you.
For this or any other queries it is always worth asking our furniture experts - simply call us on 020 8840 6298.
How does our new seating arrive?
At Spaceist we aim to make the furniture ordering and delivery process as simple as possible for you. Our teams of specially trained fitters will deliver, unpack and position your furniture in the location of your choice so it’s ready for use immediately.
Out of hours delivery
This service is also possible outside normal office working hours for minimum disruption - so useful to consider in busy spaces like reception. Please note: the majority of our orders will arrive fully assembled.